DoctorsCare has some tips to prevent holiday stress and depression this time of year.
Holiday Stress Tip #1: Keep a realistic approach
- Don’t expect the holidays to be perfect.
- It’s nice to have traditions, but people and situations change over the years.
- Your children will grow up and have families of their own. If they can’t come home, however, try a new tradition of video calling to include everyone.
Holiday Stress Tip #2: Start a new tradition
- If you’re alone for the first time this holiday season, then consider helping out with community events or volunteering your time to help others.
- The rewards of volunteering are immeasurable.
Holiday Stress Tip #3: Accept all family members
- Even if your family doesn’t meet your expectations, accept them as they are, especially during the holiday season.
- There are ways to cope with difficult relatives.
Holiday Stress Tip #4: Budget
- Set your budget for gifts and groceries and stick to it.
- Going over budget and getting into debt will only add to your depression, so try not to!
- Try these alternatives:
- Learn to make homemade gifts. (they will be more appreciated)
- Start a new tradition of family gift exchange, so you only have to shop for one member of your family 😉
- Donate a small amount in someone’s name.
Holiday Stress Tip #5: Keep up with healthy habits
- Don’t overeat during festive meals.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Stay physical even if you can’t get out.
- Avoid excessive alcohol.
Holiday Stress Tip #6: Take a break
- If you start feeling overwhelmed, sit down, put your feet up, and relax for a few minutes.
- Listen to soothing music.
- Read a book.
Don’t let the holidays become a time of dread. While personal demands and financial concerns can be overwhelming, a little planning and positive thinking can go a long way.
Remember that your physical health can trigger depression and stress.
If you or someone in your family is not feeling well, bring them to one of our DoctorsCare facilities. At DoctorsCare, our providers are specifically trained in Urgent Care and Emergency Medicine. Visit one of our two conveniently located offices in Clarksville. We accept walk-in patients of all ages during all hours of operation. No appointment is necessary! Walk in, feel better!