There are plenty of reasons to kick this habit for good, and we’ve listed some of the top health benefits of quitting smoking and a timeline of how soon it can happen below.
After just 20 minutes
- Blood pressure decreases
- Heart rate drops
- Smoking just one cigarette a day raises your heart rate.
- Blood vessels open back up in your extremities
After 8 hours
- Decrease in carbon monoxide levels in your blood.
- Blood oxygen levels increase
After 24 hours
- Reduced risk of a heart attack
- Smoking causes approximately 1 in 4 deaths from cardiovascular disease according to the CDC
After 48 hours
- Nerve endings begin to recover
- Taste improves
After 72 hours
- Take a deep breath and enjoy as your bronchial tubes begin to relax without irritation from smoke
After 3 months
- Improved circulation
- Increased energy for exercise
After 9 months
- Less coughing
After 1 year
- Risk of heart disease drops
- Your risk of heart disease decreases to half that of a current smoker
There is also the money savings that happen when you quit. With the high price of tobacco these days, you could save thousands of dollars a year. Think about it.
The positives that come when you quit smoking is worth doing it in so many different ways. If you need help, talk to your healthcare provider about a smoking cessation program. At DoctorsCare, our providers are specifically trained in Urgent Care and Emergency Medicine. Visit one of our two conveniently located offices in Clarksville. We accept walk-in patients of all ages during all hours of operation. No appointment is necessary! Walk in, feel better!