During #BurnAwarenessWeek DoctorsCare has some burn safety tips to protect you and your children.
Home Burn Safety Tips
Many ordinary things in your home can cause burns for young children.
- Hot water heater
- Turn the thermostat on your water heater down to below 120º F to prevent scalding.
- Check the bath water temperature with your hand before putting the child in the tub.
- Don’t cook while holding a child.
- Don’t leave the stove unattended when you’re cooking.
- Keep hot foods away from the edge of tables or countertops.
- Don’t use tablecloths or placemats that children can pull down.
- Hot appliances
- Keep things like clothes irons or curling irons unplugged and out of reach of children at all times when not in use.
- Establish a “NO” zone around stoves, space heaters, and fireplaces.
- Always test hot food or liquids before giving them to your child.
- This is especially important for microwave ovens, which heat foods unevenly.
- Never warm a baby’s bottle in the microwave.
Outdoor Burn Safety Tips
- Grills and campfires
- Never leave children unattended around hot grills and smoldering campfires.
- Watch children during fireworks, and don’t let them play with fireworks or sparklers.
- Check your children’s car seats and check hot straps or buckles. Leaving your car in direct sunlight causes fabrics and metals to turn hotter than you think.
Fire Emergency Plan
- Install smoke detectors and change batteries at least once a year.
- Learn how to use a fire extinguisher and keep one handy.
- Teach your children to stop, drop and roll.
- Practice an emergency evacuation plan every six months and teach your children to leave a smoky area by crawling on the floor.
And, of course, store matches, lighters, and ashtrays out of reach of children. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room.
At DoctorsCare, our providers are specifically trained in Urgent Care and Emergency Medicine. Visit one of our two conveniently located offices in Clarksville. We accept walk-in patients of all ages during all hours of operation. No appointment is necessary! Walk in, feel better!