Doctors Care wants to give you some tips on getting relief from those fall allergies
It’s time for sweaters, hoodies, and apple cider. But it’s also time for fall allergies. Ragweed in particular. Up to 20% of Americans are allergic to the weed that blooms all over the United States. In fact, just one ragweed plant can produce up to 1billion grains of pollen during its single-season lifespan.
Allergies occur when your immune system reacts to a foreign substance, such as pollen. When you come in contact with the allergen, your immune system’s reaction can inflame your skin, sinuses, airways or digestive system.
It’s also time for indoor and outdoor molds. The fungus can gather up in piles of moist leaves and in damp basements.
Your local weatherman is now giving allergy counts during their reports, so take this advice to see whether you need to curtail your outdoor activities if the pollen count is particularly high.
Here are a few tips for getting relief.
- Avoid fall leaves.
- If you must do yard work, wear goggles and a face mask.
- Keep pollen outside
- Wear a hat when outside to keep pollen from clinging to your hair.
- Remove the hat and shoes when you come inside and ask your guests to do the same.
- Rinse off before going to bed so you don’t trail pollen onto your pillow and sheets.
- Keep windows closed and use a HEPA filter on your air conditioner.
- Dry up any dampness in your home
- Mold grows where it’s moist so be sure to wash and dry your bath mats and towels.
- Start taking your medications before the season starts
- If you are prescribed an antihistamine, start taking it a few days before the season starts.
The fall season is also colds and flu season. At DoctorsCare we not only treat allergies but also colds, flu, fever, cough, and minor asthma attacks. And remember, there’s no need to wait for an appointment. We are a walk-in clinic so you can come in when you
need immediate care and on your schedule.
Doctors Care has two convenient locations serving the Clarksville area. The St. Bethlehem Office is located at 2320 Wilma Rudolph Blvd and our Sango Office is located at 2302 Madison Street. Walk In – Feel Better.